This is nothing you havent experienced before, but there are a couple things to keep in mind.
- Right now, virtually all traffic lights are down, so just remember to use a little courtesy at the intersection.
- There is some gas (I saw a station open with a line of cars on South Claiborne Ave), but if you can, fill up early and often before arriving.
- Make your groceries elsewhere. And if youre not sure if you have power, dont buy anything perishable.
- A few bar/restaurants are open, and Id expect many more by tomorrow. Luke was open yesterday; Buffas, Mollys on the Market, the Maple Leaf and Oceana Grill stayed open throughout the storm (if I forgot someone, please forgive me). Port of Call is open today until 7 p.m.
- There is still a lot of debris in the roads; proceed with caution. Crews are cleaning it up as fast as they can.
- One of the most welcome sights Ive seen today are all of the various crews Asplundh, Entergy, Cox Cable, Bell South traveling around the city, making repairs.
- When you drive by the police be it Jefferson Parish, NOPD, state police, etc
--give them a wave and thumbs up. Those folks did an exemplary job of patrolling the city and keeping it safe during and after the storm. This morning, I saw a group of officers on Esplanade Ave and Broad. Apparently, someone tried to get in a robbery before everyone returned.