Thursday, May 14, 2009

Two Die from Ammonia Leak in Louisville

Posted By on Thu, May 14, 2009 at 8:21 PM

According to Louisville, Kentucky’s Courier-Journal two men died yesterday from an anhydrous ammonia leak at the American Cold Storage facility. Anhydrous ammonia is a gas commonly used in refrigeration, and would be used at the proposed $40 million New Orleans Cold Storage facility at Governor Nicholls and Esplanade wharves in the French Quarter.

     As Gambit reported last month, the proposal has a number of residents of the French Quarter and Faubourg Marigny worried about the possibility of gas leaks at the facility, which would be used to blast-freeze chicken. The Port of New Orleans owns the property and is in charge of the project, and contends the facility will have state-of-the-art safety measures. Chris Bonura, a spokesman for the Port, says New Orleans Cold Storage has operated refrigeration facilities in the city since 1886 and has never had an ammonia-related injury.   

click to enlarge " width=
The proposed site of a cold storage facility near the French Quarter and Faubourg Marigny has local residents concerned.

Tags: , , , ,

Pin It

Speaking of...

Comments (4)

Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment

Submit an event Jump to date

Latest in Blog of New Orleans

Top Topics in Blog of New Orleans

Food & Drink (59)


Music & Nightlife (57)


Events & Festivals (45)


Film/DVD (39)


Saints (37)


More by David Winkler-Schmit

Recent Comments

© 2014 Gambit
Powered by Foundation