While we may not have Sean Penn yelling about us to the media, or Bono writing epic songs about us and singing them on top of the Superdome, and there's no Auto-Tuned song about us sung by a truckload of annoying celebrities, we do have this: the nonprofit Air Traffic Control is releasing the Dear New Orleans benefit compilation featuring a bunch of really great artists.
I mean, some aren't that great. Indigo Girls and Jill Sobule haven't really done anything notable since the 90s besides appear in VH1 countdowns about, well, the 90s; Paul Sanchez conjures memories of Cowboy Mouth, and OK Go has yet to make music anywhere as good as this video. But besides that, there's songs from Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's Alec Ounsworth, Mirah and Thao Nguyen (check out a lovely duet with those two here), Bonerama, My Morning Jacket with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, and the Wrens, a band that rarely releases new music.
Air Traffic Control will release the album Aug. 24, and proceeds will go to Sweet Home New Orleans and the Gulf Restoration Network. Hit the jump for the complete track listing, via Pitchfork.
1. OK Go: "Louisiana Land"
2. The Mendoza Line: "Catch a Collapsing Star"
3. The Nightwatchman (Tom Morello): "Midnight in the City of Destruction"
4. Janet Bean and the Concertina Wire: "My Little Brigadoon"
5. Matt Sweeney and Bonnie "Prince" Billy: "Love in the Hot Afternoon"
6. Paul Sanchez: "Don't Be Sure" [ft. Shamarr Allen]
7. Alec Ounsworth: "Dr. So and So" [ft. Al "Carnival Time" Johnson and John Boutte]
8. Steve Earle: "Dixieland"
9. Luke Reynolds: "Flood"
10. Jon Langford: "Last Fair Deal Gone Down"
11. Laura Veirs: "I Can See Your Tracks"
12. Vijay Iyer: "Threnody"
13. Jill Sobule: "Where Is Bobby Gentry?"
14. Flobots: "Stand Up"
15. Rebecca Gates: "Doos"
16. The Wrens: "Crescent"
17. Indigo Girls: "Kid Fears" [ft. Brandi Carlile]
18. Timothy Bracy's Collection Agency: "Matching Scars"
19. Nellie McKay: "Late Again"
20. Blind Pilot: "I Buried a Bone"
21. Mirah: "NOLA" [ft. Thao Nguyen]
22. Allison Moorer: "A Change Is Gonna Come"
23. 2nd Chief David Montana: "The Change of Heart Man"
24. Wonderlick: "The American Way"
25. Bonerama: "Mr. Go"
26. Thao Nguyen and Bonerama: "Body"
27. Erin McKeown and Bonerama: "Blackbirds"
28. Nicole Atkins and Bonerama: "When the Levee Breaks"
29. Mike Mills and Bonerama: "Ohio" [ft. Wayne Kramer and Dave Herlihy]
30. Wayne Kramer and Bonerama: "Kick Out the Jams" [ft. Mike Mills, Erin McKeown, Nicole Atkins, and Martin Perna]
31. My Morning Jacket and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band: "Carnival Time"
HumidCity will do everything it can to assist. If there is something we can do…
Throw another party in the city with the highest poverty rate in…
Can you say it's The Beatles without John?
Or can it be Miami Vice…
an excellent movie! my review - http://www.neauxreelidea.com/2013/04/revie…
The road to Hell is paved in unbought stuffed dogs.
Long how many more billions we spend to prevent the FBI's definition of terrorism versus…