City officials cut the ribbon on the new $6.2 million, three-story, state-of-the-art, gym-equipped, fully digital, blue Seventh District police station, on the site of the one destroyed in August 2005.
"They have waited a long time, over six years to be exact," said recently appointed 7th District Commander Michael Harrison of the 98-person staff at the 7th District. "This represents the transformation and revitalization that's taken place in Eastern New Orleans."
Also, during the ceremony prior to the ribbon-cutting, New Orleans Police Department Superintendent Ronal Serpas also announced the creation of Police Community Advisory Boards for each of the department's eight districts. The boards, made up of seven to nine residents, will ... as follows from the press release:
• Maintain a consistent partnership between the community and law enforcement;
• Serve to help reduce crime and enhance the quality of life for all citizens;
• Help community groups share responsibility for police accountability and the commitment to serve
• Create processes to help address issues of bias-based policing;
• Improve interaction between police and citizens through education and training;
• Assist law enforcement in helping to maintain police standards for accountability; and
• Strengthen and ensure the application of equal protection under the law for all persons.
Or MSHCIAS for short.
"We have to police New Orleans the way New Orleans comes to us," Serpas said. "If this neighborhood at that corner needs speeding enforcement, that's what they get. If this neighborhood at that corner needs drug enforcement, that's what they get."
(Continue for video of ribbon-cutting and photo tour of the station. Keep in mind it's a new police station. That context might make the photos seem more interesting than they actually are.)
....and PLEASE don't forget the vine that follows: https://vine.co/v/hu5rmT1eHJx
Stein's and Cake Cafe bagels. Enough said.
These pieces just get better and better. Proving that wrestling fans have intelligence and a…
Unril it is "retooled" to include City Park and possibly other public recreational space it…
Don't worry..we'll all float on.Hard to believe but that song is old now!
Jeanie, my fellow New Orleans native, you've made me comfortable admitting my shame. I cannot…