The annual Tour de Lis cycling fundraiser for local cancer survivors is this Saturday, May 12, starting with a walk/run at 8 a.m. at Popp Fountain in City Park, followed by the bike ride at 9:15 a.m. and then music, free food, beverages and festivities. It’s a wonderful event for a very worthy cause.
Best of all, you don’t have to be a cyclist to participate — you can walk, run, ride, donate or just come out and cheer — and pass a good time.
For more information and to register, go HERE.
Proceeds from Tour de Lis benefit 501(c)(3) organizations headquartered in the Greater New Orleans area that have developed innovative ways to raise cancer awareness and/or provide support to survivors and their loved ones. Tour de Lis additionally supports its national beneficiary, the Lance Armstrong Foundation.
Tour de Lis is an incorporated 501(c)(3) non-profit organization committed to funding educational programs and services in and around New Orleans specifically for survivors and their families.
This year marks the 6th annual Tour de Lis. In addition to a free t-shirt, all registered participants will receive a raffle ticket for a chance to win Madone 4.7 bike donated by GNO Cyclery. Additional tickets can be purchased on-site for $5.00 per ticket or 5 for $20.00.
Parking for Tour de Lis is available at the Rugby Field next to Popp Fountain. Early on-site registration will occur on Friday, May 11th, from 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. at Popp Fountain in City Park.
Tour De Lis has now exceeded the $1.0 million mark in funds raised since its inception in 2007. Listed below are the 2011 Tour De Lis grant recipients. The common element is they all provide needed support to the Greater New Orleans cancer survivor community.
• Children’s Hospital to start a survivorship program for children who have had Cancer and have long term effects even into adulthood
• Touro for the development of a DVD about surviving cancer and navigating all the behavioral and practical aspects (specifically for people who are illiterate and would not be able to read written material)
• Tulane Medical Center for a music program for cancer patients that will employ local musicians
• Mary Bird Perkins for a series of cancer screenings that reaches rural areas in Louisiana
• Hope Lodge and CAGNO for gas cards for patients to assist them in treatment compliance
• Breastoration to help pay for reconstruction surgery for breast cancer patients who cannot afford it