Mayor Mitch Landrieu and a raft of city officials and first responders held a press conference this afternoon to address plans for Hurricane Isaac. Watch here:
The current plan is to shelter in place, though Landrieu and emergency officials did not rule out calling a mandatory evacuation in the next 24 hours.
A state of emergency has been declared for Orleans, Jefferson and surrounding parishes, as well as for the state of Louisiana by Gov. Bobby Jindal. Landrieu said the city was preparing for a storm that could drop 12 to 16 inches of rain, likely making landfall Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. As meteorologists have been saying, landfall is unusually uncertain for a storm this close to the Gulf Coast. Right now, hurricane warnings have been issued for the entire Gulf Coast from Morgan City, La. to the western panhandle of Florida.
No school closures or evacuations have been planned for Orleans or Jefferson Parish as of Sunday afternoon. Landrieu said another press conference to assess conditions is planned for Monday morning, but residents should stay aware of the situation all evening.
A few notes:
• Parking on neutral grounds in Orleans Parish will be allowed as of Monday evening.
• Trash pickup WILL occur Monday, but not Tuesday or Wednesday. Secure all trash bins and recycle bins.
• The city will not be operating any shelters of last resort, including the Superdome and Louis Armstrong International Airport. Plans have been made for homeless shelters to take in extra people. If you need evacuation help, see this map of city evacuation points.
• Orleans Parish Sheriff Marlin Gusman said inmates in temporary housing will be moved started Monday.
• NOPD chief Ronal Serpas said the city's 311 non-emergency line will be up and fully staffed as of Monday morning. Use that number for all non-emergencies. For emergency calls, use 911.
Television meteorologists will be updating the situation throughout the evening, and we'll be updating our Twitter feed with any major news. We have also set up a Twitter list of local meteorologists, officials and other weather resources. Subscribe here.
QUINCE Thou dunce, thou varlet; whence this day of rest? To bowl on Sabbath matters…
Thanks for sharing! As the inspiration for this entire series, 5th Ward Weebie, says, "You…
This article says it is supposed to be posted next week. They are asking for…
I did my part. I have 2 jerseys, several t shirts, a hat or two,…
I can't imagine that any of the top 5 could top this.
How was this masterpiece left off the list?