During the two week period of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, there are plenty of benefit concerts that support musicians, education and more. Many are described here. There are two well established benefit concerts tonight. WWOZ 90.7 FM holds its annual Piano Night at the House of Blues, and the Tipitina's Foundation hosts Instruments A Comin' at the Uptown club.
Other benefits this week include:
- The Threadhead Foundation holds a fundraiser at the Old Iron Works Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Performers include Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes, CC Adcock and the Lafayette Marquis with members of Lil' Band O' Gold, and many others. Food and drink is included. Tickets are $75 and must be purchased in advance.
- The Ponderosa Stomp and New Orleans Musicians Clinic host the Naughty Nurse Prom 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Palm Court Jazz Cafe, and proceeds go to the clinic. Entertainment is by Little Freddie King and Guitar Lightnin' Lee. Tickets $20-$45.
- Shorty Fest, raises funds for Trombone Shorty's Foundation, which supports music education. Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue are joined by Cha Wa, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Hot 8 Brass Band and others. The event starts at 8 p.m. Thursday at Generations Hall. Proceeds benefit the foundation.
- Down on the Bayou IV is headlined by Dr. John, actor/comedian Harry Shearer, Jo Jo Herman of Widespread Panic, Marcia Ball, Col. Bruce Hampton, New Orleans Suspects, Jon Gros and others. The entertainment starts at 9 p.m. Thursday at Republic. Proceeds benefit the New Orleans Musicians Clinic. Tickets are $35 in advance, $45 on the day of the show.
- Rock 'N' Hops combines craft beer and music to benefit MusiCares. The event is at 8 p.m. Saturday at NOLA Brewing. The lineup features The Breton Sound, Coyotes, Andrew Duhon and others. Tickets include all-you-can drink NOLA Brewing beer. Tickets $20 in advance, $25 at the door.
- On Friday, Fiya Fest features music, boiled crawfish and drinks at Mardi Gras World, and proceeds benefit Roots of Music. The lineup includes Karl Denson and the Dirty Dozen Horns, Dr. KLAW (Eric Krasno, Ian Neville, Adam Deitch and others), GABE (George Porter, Anders Osborne, Billy Iuso and Eric Bolivar), Dragon Smoke and others. The Roots of Music Marching Crusaders will perform a short set. Music goes from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. Tickets are $80.