There are so many things I admire about fashion designer Betsey Johnson, I don't know where to start, but maybe an apt place would be her roots — her hair roots, that is:
1. She spends thousands of dollars a year on hair extensions. I am so envious of her cash flow and her platinum tresses.
2. She's a septuagenarian, and she can do cartwheels and splits. I HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO DO EITHER OF THESE THINGS. Watch her! She's amazing! She looks like she's going to fall, then she lands in a perfect split! It's a kind of controlled chaos, which is a good metaphor for the designer herself. Did I mention she's 70?
3. Her handwriting is really cool and arty looking and she leaves cute notes backstage at her shows:
4. She got tattooed in the 1970s, when only genuine badasses got tattoos, and her lightning bolt tattoo is still effing sweet:
5. Her fashion career spans more than 30 years and her brand is stronger than ever, with distribution in more than 2,000 boutiques.
6. She'll be at Dillard's Lakeside Shopping Center (3301 Veterans Memorial Blvd.) tomorrow from 2 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. taking pictures with fans, and anyone who spends more than $50 on her stuff gets a free gift.