The New Orleans City Council has canceled a scheduled Friday meeting of the Housing and Human Needs Committee at which the city's proposed new sound ordinance was to be discussed. A large public rally opposing the ordinance planned outside City Hall for tomorrow morning will still go on, according to organizers.
In a statement, Councilmembers Kristin Gisleson Palmer and Stacy Head, citing "public consternation," said a new ordinance would be presented in draft form at a Jan. 27 committee meeting. That ordinance, it seems, will apply only to the "VCE District," or Vieux Carre Entertainment District.
Nathan Chapman, one of the leaders of the fight for the controversial ordinance, issued a statement that said, in part, "At some point, the general public became greatly confused in a negative campaign of disinformation and personal attacks. If the volume of the rhetoric had been turned down a bit, we could have heard each other more, and made progress for the entire city."
The Music & Culture Coalition of New Orleans, a group formed in part to fight the ordinance, said its planned rally would go on at Duncan Plaza at 11 a.m. tomorrow nonetheless. Another group, Save the Sound NOLA, tweeted, "YES! Tomorrow's rally is STILL ON! City Hall 11am! Its gonna to be a beautiful day! See ya tomorrow New Orleans!"
Below the jump: statements from the council, from Chapman and the Music & Culture Coalition of New Orleans.
Joint Statement: Housing and Human Needs Committee Co-Chairs Head and Gisleson Palmer
January 16, 2014
The City Council has worked for five years to improve the city's sound ordinances. The lack of enforcement over time and of enforceable laws negatively impacts the quality of life in neighborhoods citywide and the health of musicians and employees, and also stymies development. At times, new businesses hoping to open music venues are subjected to onerous requirements through provisos or other means in order to assuage neighbors' reasonable fears that government will not enforce nuisance laws should those new businesses operate in a harmful manner.
In the fall of 2011, Councilmember Kristin Gisleson Palmer engaged acoustician David Woolworth to conduct a thoughtful and comprehensive study of New Orleans sound ordinances and to work with many interest groups to propose rational changes in the City's laws. This resulted in a comprehensive report, which was released to the public in August 2013. It is now time to take the action step of turning this work into law. In December 2013, Councilmember Head drafted and the Council introduced a narrow amendment to the city's sound ordinance to focus on a subset of noise issues (brick and mortar structures), place the measurement location at the property line of emanation, and provide sound level allowances depending on area zoning classification. We'd like to thank the neighborhood groups, musicians, and citizens who helped us get to this point.
There has been much public consternation over the perceived intent and impact of the ordinance, and fear that the hard work and recommendations of the many constituency groups with Mr. Woolworth were not followed. In order to allay those fears, Mr. Woolworth has suggested, and we agree, that an even more limited focus on VCE only is appropriate. Mr. Woolworth and Councilmember Gisleson Palmer in particular, have worked closely with the French Quarter Management District to craft recommendations tailored to the VCE district.
These recommendations, including that the measurement should be taken at the property line of the source of emanation, along with a noise level threshold, will be the substance of an ordinance that will be presented in draft form at the next Housing and Human Needs Committee meeting on January 27, 2014. At that meeting we will also invite the Health Department to present the status of the hiring of environmental health officers who will have the primary charge of enforcing sound laws. Thereafter, we will conduct additional field tests with Mr. Woolworth and welcome public comment in order to inform the draft, and then the resulting ordinance will be formally introduced for first reading.
Therefore, the Special Housing and Human Needs Committee meeting set for tomorrow, January 17, 2014, will be cancelled, and the current ordinance will be withdrawn.
Finally, we assure the public that our work to create workable and reasonable laws that preserve our music culture and industry has not stalled, but will continue in earnest.
7 Essentials Chair Nathan Chapman issued the following statement regarding cancellation of Council hearing:
As chair a 20-organization coalition, I had the privilege of participating in conversations about sound and music across New Orleans. They showed that no matter what neighborhood you’re from, whether resident, musician, or business owner, we have more that unites than divides us.
At some point, the general public became greatly confused in a negative campaign of disinformation and personal attacks. If the volume of the rhetoric had been turned down a bit, we could have heard each other more, and made progress for the entire city.
It’s my understanding that the City Council is going to take a breath and focus first on solutions for the French Quarter. As a resident of the French Quarter trying to help the entire city, I’m agreeable to that. Showing positive results that enhance the residential and music experience can create a model for all of New Orleans.
The Music and Culture Coalition of New Orleans (via Twitter
Tomorrow's meeting on the noise ordinance has been postponed, and the ordinance temporarily withdrawn. We're winning, but it's not over. Tomorrow's rally will still go on as scheduled. It's not over until it has been officially withdrawn and a new process is announced. Tomorrow's rally will still go on as scheduled. It's not over until it has been officially withdrawn and a new process is announced.