Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Operation Save America is back in town

Posted By on Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 5:48 PM

click to enlarge img_3849.jpg

Operation Save America
, the faith-based pro-life organization that rattled New Orleans earlier this summer, was back in town today rallying outside of the Ashe Cultural Arts Center, where the team behind Planned Parenthood's scheduled South Claiborne facility held what the non-profit's women's health organization's communications manager Jewel Bush said was a private business meeting. 

The protestors held signs and spoke with passersby, handing out flyers arguing that abortion is a device Planned Parenthood and other providers of the service are intending for ethnic cleansing.  The fliers the protestors distributed renamed Planned Parenthood "Klan Parenthood."


“Today we are holding a job fair to provide local construction professionals an opportunity to be part of a project that will benefit this community," Reagan Carter, senior director of public affairs and education for Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast, said in a statement. "These groups are trying to bully these contractors and stop construction, but in the end they’re only helping us build even more support. We are committed to expanding access to health care in New Orleans. The bottom line is New Orleanians need more health care and jobs, not hate."

For more than a year, opponents of Planned Parenthood have protested to try and stop construction of the new Planned Parenthood Health center, which is scheduled to open by 2015. 

According to Planned Parenthood, New Orleans has some of the country’s highest rates of HIV transmission, sexually transmitted infections, and unintended pregnancy, and does not have enough health care providers to meet those needs. "Planned Parenthood’s new health center on South Claiborne Avenue will provide lifesaving cancer screenings, birth control, STI testing and treatment, and HIV screening. Construction on the health center began several months ago, and it is slated to open in early 2015," said Bush.

In July, Mayor Mitch Landrieu issued a proclamation welcoming Operation Save America to New Orleans. A few days later, the mayor's administration said the proclamation was issued in error, but it didn't stop women's rights activists from rallying outside City Hall, asking for a formal apology from Landrieu. 

Tags: , , ,

Pin It


Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Latest in The Latest

More by Jeanie Riess

Submit an event Jump to date

© 2016 Gambit
Powered by Foundation