The Advocate, which moved into the New Orleans market from Baton Rouge earlier this year in response to The Times-Picayune going to a three-day-per-week production schedule, has been sold to New Orleans businessman and sometime-political candidate John Georges. The announcement of the "Georges Media Group" and its buy will be announced officially on Wednesday at a 10 a.m. press conference at The Advocate's Bluebonnet Road offices, which will be attended by Gov. Bobby Jindal and various politicos and dignitaries.
In an interview tonight, Georges said he would be getting his first look at the physical paper when he walks through the newsroom and plant tomorrow. "I've wanted to buy The Advocate for two years now," he said, adding that the deal was finalized just today.
Georges had signed a letter of intent in March to buy the paper from the Manship family, which had owned it for 100 years. Publisher David Manship, who had been publicly ambivalent about the family's sale, sent an email to employees tonight saying, "I can tell you personally I am happy that such a passionate and reputable Louisiana family is taking the helm."
"It got complicated when they [The Advocate] decided to come into the New Orleans market last year," Georges said. "Negotiations stalled for six months."
Georges, who has never owned a media company, has had a wide variety of businesses (including a paper boy route for The Times-Picayune at age 15). Most of his ventures have been successful. The New Orleans native and Tulane University graduate built his company, Imperial Trading, into a distributor for convenience stores across the South. Its parent company, Georges Enterprises, has had a wide variety of holdings, including video poker machines. In 2007, the longtime Republican ran for governor as an independent and was defeated by Jindal. In 2009, he purchased Galatoire's, the city's old-line restaurant (which has a spinoff, Galatoire's Bistro, in Baton Rouge), and ran for mayor of New Orleans as a Democrat in a hotly contested race which he ultimately lost to Mitch Landrieu.
Asked if people thought he was crazy to be getting into the newspaper business at a time when the future of newspapers seemed dim, Georges said, "Warren Buffett and the Koch brothers are getting into it. I don’t know who says it's crazy."
The digitally-focused NOLA Media Group, which cut back print publication of The Times-Picayune to three days a week last year, continued to innovate today by announcing a new plan to print on the days it doesn't produce a print product, bringing the company up to 7-day-a-week publication, according to an announcement by NOLA Media Group Vice President of Content Jim Amoss.
The report, which is not from The Onion, says the new product, to be called "TPStreet," will launch this summer in newsboxes around the city and cost 75 cents, just like the daily paper, which it will not be, because it is more innovative than that:
“Our success in delivering more news, sports and entertainment to our readers enables us to create this innovative publication, the latest milestone in our evolution as a multimedia news organization,” said President and Publisher Ricky Mathews.
The innovative publication is in response to "a repeated request" from home-delivery subscribers to get a delivered daily paper, but it will not be home delivered, Mathews said:
“In TPStreet, we sought to develop a publication that would address our single-copy readers and also respond to a repeated request from our home-delivery subscribers for a front-to-back newspaper reading experience in the e-edition on days we don’t offer home delivery,” said Mathews.
The front-to-back newspaper reading experience, says Amoss, will give "our readers access to the state’s largest and most talented news organization both online and in print every day."
“We are excited about this opportunity to extend our daily reach in print,” concurred vice president of advertising Kelly Rose.
Requests from response from the corpse of George Orwell, Jeff Jarvis, the creators of New Coke and Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks were unreturned.
Under the jump: some local Twitter reaction.
Carlos Sanchez, the managing editor of NOLA Media Group's new Baton Rouge bureau, has resigned after less than six months on the job, multiple sources within the company have told Gambit.
A memo co-signed by editor Jim Amoss and the director of state news and sports, James O'Byrne, went out to NOLA Media Group staffers in the last two hours, saying Sanchez was resigning for family reasons and returning to Texas, where he wrote about politics for the Austin American-Statesman and served as editor of the Waco Tribune-Herald for several years before being let go in a Trib-Herald companywide layoff in 2011.
Sanchez was hired by NOLA Media Group last fall to helm its expanded bureau in Baton Rouge. In January, he created a stir within the company when — on the eve of President Barack Obama's second inauguration — the Baton Rouge bureau posted an online poll asking "Should we wish President Obama well in his second term?". That poll, which was the subject of dismay and some derision in the New Orleans office, where it was seen as "clickbait," has been removed from the NOLA.com site:
NOLA Media Group's Baton Rouge bureau also came under fire earlier this month in a lengthy, critical story by Ryan Chittum of the Columbia Journalism Review — a story that triggered anger within the NOLA Media Group and, according to some current and past employees, a search for internal sources who may have spoken to Chittum. In tracing the changes at The Times-Picayune from a daily to a thrice-weekly publication with a digital focus, Chittum wrote:
The Baton Rouge bureau, under the purview of James O’Byrne, the former NOLA.com editor, is widely viewed internally as an embarrassment. The second sentence of one November story’s lede would be hard to imagine in a high-school paper: “Fortunately for the citizens of the Red Stick, local law enforcement continue to team up with state legislators and federal agencies to ensure stricter drug enforcement laws and regulations make it onto the books.”
Today's memo from O'Byrne and Amoss said that NOLA Media Group would be undertaking a national search to replace Sanchez. A call to NOLA Media Group's Baton Rouge office was not immediately returned.
(UPDATE: Sanchez has posted a farewell letter, saying, in part, "In the end, it came down to leaving one of the boldest experiments in American journalism today in favor of my family, still living in Texas. In short, there was no choice." He also praises the head of Baton Rouge's Downtown Development District.)
A letter went out late Friday to NOLA Media Group's "content employees" (aka reporters), inviting them to a training session (a mandatory "invite"), where they will begin to learn what the company is calling a Performance Management Process (PMP):
"Our organization’s current and future business objectives require an increased focus on improved performance and talent development."
"Discuss how your performance can positively impact your pay."
Meanwhile, the newsroom staff, which had written an open letter in June to Cunningham and Amoss, asking, “Will there be quotas for online entries?” (no formal answer was ever forthcoming), ended the year nervous about their role in drawing traffic, or “clicks,” to NOLA.com. A “Staff Performance Measurement & Development Specialist” position has been created; the job description included monitoring reporters’ and editors’ “amount of content created each day” and “[setting] standards for measuring performance aimed at achieving content and business goals.” (“I don’t know how to get more clicks without doing more stories every day,” one longtime reporter told Gambit.)
None dare call it quotas — but few in the newsroom doubt that quotas, or something like them, is coming in 2013.
Chittum paints a picture of a newsroom where "coverage looks thin at times," "incomplete versions of stories have ended up in the paper" and "some staffers say, the quality of the report is deteriorating." Much of this is attributed to unnamed sources at the T-P, as well as those who have left. Chittum's basic thesis is spelled out early:
Ten months later, a battle still rages for the soul of the Times-Picayune, and over the meaning of what happened. Much of the media coverage of the changes in New Orleans, while critical of Advance and the paper’s leaders, has focused on the decision to cut publication to three days a week and, to a lesser extent, on the layoffs, which were devastating even by today’s standards. Those are, of course, important storylines.
Less examined: the radical change in how journalism is done at the 176-year-old Times-Picayune and what that means for the future of news coverage. And even less examined are the strange finances of the move, which help explain what to many appears inexplicable, from either a journalistic or a business point of view.
Advance argues that it is taking a difficult but bold step into a digital future, in New Orleans and across the country. But its actions make more sense with a close look at the numbers, which suggest something other than its claim of “securing a vital future for our local journalism.”
Editor Jim Amoss, who does not come off well in the tale, has already responded in the comments section of the story:
... not to mention Engage Employees in Transforming the Company to Meet Our Changing Digital and Print Future.
No, it's not the latest indignity ladled upon the heads of the long-suffering NOLA Media Group (unofficial slogan: We're Miserable — But What a View!™) — it's a new "Strategic Initiative" laid down at The Oregonian, the Newhouse/Advance paper in Portland, Ore.
Newsroom employees got this directive laid out on a laminated card this week, according to media reporter Jim Romenesko.
“These laminated cards were distributed this week to Oregonian newsroom employees,” writes a Romenesko reader. “Note: nothing about holding government accountable, informing the public, comforting the afflicted, etc.”
"Strengthen financial performance."
The reaction on Romenesko's Facebook page is worth reading.
The Housing Authority of New Orleans (HANO) is currently in the process of revising its policy on criminal background checks for housing and job applicants. HANO has some lofty goals in mind here, reports Richard Webster:
"Their criminal history is likely a bar to admission to most affordable housing opportunities, making post-incarceration reunification of families a near impossible dream," HANO says in the preamble to its proposed policy statement. "(HANO) recognizes that, whether explicit or implicit, its practices have served to perpetuate the problem... and accepts that it has a responsibility to give men and women with criminal histories the opportunity to rejoin their families and communities as productive members."
But, Webster writes, the new policy — which bans anyone with a "criminal history" that includes domestic or child abuse — will actually be significantly more restrictive than the current policy. Read the story.
Read HANO's draft policy: DRAFT_HANO_Criminal_Background_Policy_Statement_1.8.13.pdf
HANO is holding a public meeting on the new draft policy tonight at 6 p.m. at Helen W. Lang Memorial Board Room located at 4100 Touro Street (Building B).
Much, much worse than the Elysio Lofts, both in terms of design and use. FMIA…
BEST WAY TO HAVE GOOD AMOUNT TO START A GOOD BUSINESS or TO START LIVING…
I have been there several times and only liked the mini cupcake even though it…
Some interesting coincidences A: Landrieu is term limited B: Landrieu is widely believed to be…
Bad location. Not much foot traffic, as most people who go to Frenchman St. at…
Rooftop Beer Garden. Sweet.
Hello everyone here,my name is Albert Sunny am from Germany, i want to share a…
not on your list but should be!: https://www.facebook.com/events/803471016422223/
Come explore the past residents of LaBranch during the annual Haunted History Hike:
To Kezia--I don't think that a house in the Marigny that could rent for $2200…
I hesitated to write this because, creativity, as Henri Matisse reminds us, takes courage. The…