1. One cup contains only 81 calories.
2. They can lower blood pressure and LDL cholesterol.
3. Antioxidants in blueberries limit muscle fatigue by eliminating free radicals muscles produce during exercise.
4. A 1-cup serving provides high percentages of the daily recommended amounts of vitamin K (36 percent), vitamin C (30 percent), manganese (20 percent), dietary fiber (15 percent) and vitamin E (8 percent).
5. Help prevent cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, peptic ulcers, heart disease and cancer
6. Strengthen the entire vascular system
7. Have 38 percent more of the antioxidant anthocyanins than red wine
8. Help aging adults maintain mental acuity by reducing the effects of Alzheimer's disease and dementia
9. Contain the antioxidant ellagic acid, which blocks metabolic pathways that can lead to cancer; phenolic compounds that inhibit the growth of colon cancer cells and can actually kill them; and the phytonutrient kaempferol, which significantly reduces a woman's risk of ovarian cancer.
10. Help relieve diarrhea and constipation, and prevent or cure urinary tract infections.
11. Have less than a gram of saturated fat and cholesterol and only 1 milligram of sodium.