Do you have any history about the building at 5256 Magazine St., The New Orleans Academy of Fine Arts building?
For many years it was believed that the house was built in 1874 by Judge John Henry Ilsley. This house of late Classic design, however, was actually built in 1883 in a Retardataire style (the perpetuation of styles and motifs after they have passed out of fashion). In 1883, the owner of the house was Dennis McRedmond, who instructed builder Patrick Burns to completely dismantle the two buildings already on the site. Redmond must have believed in recycling, because he had his builder reuse the bricks, lumber and windows from the buildings. What resulted was a home with eight rooms. There was a center hall and two kitchen rooms in a wing in the back. The front galleries are now enclosed, but originally they had cast-iron railings.
Each room is about 16 feet by 18 feet, and all are perfect for the art school and gallery that occupy the house today.