Located within the Desire neighborhood for many years was the headquarters and baking plant for McKenzie's Pastry Shoppes, better known simply as McKenzie's. The plant at 3847 Desire Parkway turned out the king cakes, buttermilk drops, turtles, pies and cakes that were sold in retail locations across the city. The first store opened in 1924 at 4926 Prytania St. (now the Creole Creamery). Owner Henry McKenzie sold the store to Daniel Entringer in 1936. Over the years, Entringer and his son Donald built a 54-store empire. The business closed in 2000. The recipes were purchased by the Tastee Donuts chain, which now offers McKenzie's products in several of its stores.