This 25th anniversary of Art for Arts' Sake features co-sponsor the Contemporary Arts Center's (900 Camp St., 528-3800) latest works, as well as the CAC's "Cabaret Soiree" after-party. In years past, the CAC often booked a big-name musical guest, but this year will focus on a more locally driven party. First, the "Spotlight on Julia Street," which runs from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., will include street entertainment by the Dance Puppets Dance marionettes, a hand- and stick-puppetry troupe, "Acrobats and Whimsy" by Second Circle Productions, fire play by Sami and Justin, and other circus-like fun. Cash bars will be available; here's hoping the lines won't be as maddening as they were for White Linen Night.
Cabaret Soiree will include a performance by the cabaret dance troupe La Bon Bon Cerise, music by the Loyola Jazz Ensemble with leader Matt Lemmler, singer Vanessa Neimann, actress Joan Evans and her solo performance of The Floor Keeps Turning, and more. Cabaret star Andrea Marcovicci, who concludes her two-weekend stand at Le Chat Noir this weekend, will serve as the honorary chairperson. Food will be provided by Zoe's, La Boulangerie, Nirvana, Dicharo's, Lucy's and Mother's, with a cash bar available. Admission to Cabaret Soiree is $10 general public, free for CAC members; $45 VIP general admission, $25 CAC members.
Note: Hibernia's Art for Arts' Sake openings are from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
1. CONTEMPORARY ARTS CENTER. 900 Camp St., 528-3805 -- Robin Levy -- Confronting Our Bodies, mixed media; Arnold Mesches -- The FBI Files, mixed media; Through Our Eyes: Artwork by Homeless Children.
2. ARIODANTE GALLERY. 535 Julia St., 524-3233 -- Chairish, chairs by various artists.
3. CITY ARTS STUDIOS. Exhibition at Barriere Construction (corner of Julia and Constance streets), 821-5243 -- Group show, mixed media.
4. D.O.C.S.: A STUDIO GALLERY OF CONTEMPORARY ART. 709 Camp St., 524-3936 -- Product Warnings, sculpture and fused-glass paintings by Michael Gnad.
5. JONATHAN FERRARA GALLERY. 841 Carondelet St., 522-5471 -- Back to the Land, new paintings by Roberto Ortiz.
6. LEMIEUX GALLERIES. 332 Julia St., 522-5988 -- Embossed monoprints by Brandon Graving.
7. LOUISIANA CHILDREN&185;S MUSEUM. 420 Julia St., 523-1357 -- Demonstrations in steel forging by John Perlioux; works by sixth annual Art Fest participants.
8. MARGUERITE OESTREICHER FINE ARTS. 720 Julia St., 581-9253 -- Recent works by Raine Bedsole.
9. OGDEN MUSEUM OF SOUTHERN ART. 925 Camp St., 539-9600 -- Clementine Hunter and Melrose: The Ann Brittain Family Collection; Looking Back, Looking Forward: The Art, Architecture and Design of the 1984 Louisiana World&185;s Fair; Becoming Ida Kohlmeyer: Paintings and Drawings 1960-1976; Treme Storytelling: Quilt Project by YA/YA.
10. RADICI GALLERY. 603 Julia St., 596-2144 -- Perfect Defect: A Holga Photography Group Exhibit, selected works from local photographers using a Holga camera.
11. SALON DE BEAU MONDE. 612 Julia St., 568-0050 -- Organic Plastic, works by John Lawson.
12. SOREN CHRISTENSEN GALLERY. 400 Julia St., 569-9501 -- New works by Eric Abrecht.
13. STAN RICE GALLERY. 861 Carondelet St., 586-9495 -- Stan Rice -- Chronology I, oil on canvas.
14. STELLA JONES GALLERY. 201 St. Charles Ave., 568-9050 -- Recent watercolors by Richard Yarde; works by Richard Hunt and Elizabeth Catlett.
15. STEVE MARTIN STUDIO/GALLERY. 624 Julia St., 566-9501 -- Sculpture by Evelyn Jordan, Scott Gentry and Steve Martin.
16. SYLVIA SCHMIDT GALLERY. 400-A Julia St., 522-2000 -- Seduction, mixed-media paintings by Andr&233;e Carter.
17. THE ACADEMY GALLERY. New Orleans Academy of Fine Arts, 5256 Magazine St., 899-8111 -- Watercolors and oils by Katalin Gergo; oil paintings and sculptures by Saskia Ozols.
18. ACME GALLERY. 5700 Magazine St., 891-0357 -- Six Women Group Show, benefit for Women&185;s Space shelter.
19. ANTON HAARDT FOLK GALLERY. 2858 Magazine St., 891-9080 -- Mose T -- A to Z, folk art by Mose Tolliver.
20 BERGERON STUDIO & GALLERY. Showing at 755 Magazine St., 522-7503 -- Photography by Jack Beech.
21. BREMERMANN DESIGNS. 3943 Magazine St., 891-7763 -- Works by George Marks, Amanda Talley, Jamie Meeks and Amy Dixon.
22. BERTA&185;S AND MINA&185;S ANTIQUITIES GALLERY. 4138 Magazine St., 895-6201 -- Works by C. Hunter, Rockmore, W. White and Kugler.
23. CAROL ROBINSON GALLERY. 840 Napoleon Ave. (corner of Magazine), 895-6130 -- New works in oil by Jere Allen.
24. COLE PRATT GALLERY. 3800 Magazine St., 891-6789 -- Paintings by James Beaman and Charles Keiger.
25. EVANS GALLERY. 3815 Magazine St., 897-2688 -- Layers of Time, acrylic on canvas by Jean Geraci.
26. GALERIE ECLAT. 3116 Magazine St., 896-2307 -- From C&233;zanne to Vermeer.
27. HANDS IN CLAY. 4122 Magazine St., 269-1300 -- Works by Martin Lill, Karen Marchand, Joy Gauss and Alison Thomas.
28. HOUSE OF LOUNGE. 2044 Magazine St., 671-8300 -- Designer lingerie.
29. JULIET CUSTOM FURNISHINGS. 2001 Magazine St., 525-9481 -- New Fall Collection: A Variety of Art and Interesting Objects.
30. JULIET INTERIORS. 2917 Magazine St., Suite 102, 891-8665 -- New Fall Collection: A Variety of Art and Interesting Objects.
31. LATITUDES GALLERY, LIVING BEYOND BORDERS. 3701 Magazine St., 895-9880 -- Buddhist Horizons: Shrines and Images of Southeast Asia.
32. MIGNON FAGET. 3801 Magazine St., 891-7545 -- Unveiling of fall 2004 designs.
33. MYSTIC BLUE SIGN GALLERY. 2212 Magazine St., 525-4691 -- Art to Match Your Sofa, group show of mixed media.
34. PANTHEON GALLERY. 2108 Magazine St., 813-9815 -- Expressionist Portraits, works by Steve Soltis.
35. POTSALOT AND DK CLAY POTTERIES. 3818-20 Magazine St., 899-1705/891-2525 -- Stoneware, wood-fired and pit-fired pottery.
36. THE PRIVATE CONNECTION. 3927 Magazine St., 899-4944 -- Asian art, furniture, fashion and flowers.
37. SHADYSIDE POTTERY. 3823 Magazine St., 897-1710 -- Stoneware, custom pottery, raku by Charles Bohn.
38. THOMAS MANN GALLERY/GALLERY I/O. 1812 Magazine St., 581-2113 -- Chess: Chessmen by International Artists.
39. TOTAL WOMAN. 3964 Magazine St., 891-3964 -- The Art of Fashion.
40. VILLA VICI. 2930 Magazine St., 899-2931 -- Modern and classic home furnishings, art and accessories.
41. A GALLERY FOR FINE PHOTOGRAPHY. 241 Chartres St., 568-1313 -- Ansel Adams and Henri Cartier-Bresson -- A Tribute, photographs.
42. HANSON GALLERY. 229 Royal St., 524-8211 -- New paintings by Richard Currier. 43. BARRISTER'S GALLERY. 1724 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd., 525-2767 -- Down-Low Hip-Hop; Altered Perceptions, works by Willie Birch, Jeff Cook and Paul Deo.