The James Beard Foundation has announced semifinalists for the 26th annual James Beard Foundation Awards. The 21 award categories include more than a dozen New Orleans restaurants, chefs and restaurateurs. Final nominees will be announced March 15, and the 2016 James Beard Foundation Book, Broadcast & Journalism Awards are April 26 in New York. The awards gala is May 2 in Chicago.
The New Orleans semifinalists:
• Best New Restaurant: Shaya
• Outstanding Bar Program: Arnaud's French 75; Cure
• Outstanding Chef: Donald Link (Herbsaint)
• Outstanding Pastry Chef: Kelly Fields (Willa Jean)
• Outstanding Restaurateur: JoAnn Clevenger (Upperline)
• Outstanding Service: Brigtsen's; Restaurant August
• Outstanding Wine Program: Commander's Palace
• Best Chef, South: Justin Devillier (La Petite Grocery); Michael Gulotta (MoPho); Slade Rushing (Brennan's); Michael Stoltzfus (Coquette); Isaac Toups (Toups' Meatery).