There is no wagering or anything else about this question, but since you know most of all about everything concerning New Orleans, I would welcome your comments about the area now called Lakeview.
Lakeview's boundaries are West End Boulevard, Robert E. Lee Boulevard, Orleans Avenue and Florida Avenue.
The surrounding area has changed in many ways since the early 1700s, when it was owned by the Capuchins, an order of Roman Catholic priests. Then, during Spanish rule, which began in 1763, the Capuchins sold the land to Don Andres Almonester y Roxas, the Spanish nobleman responsible for rebuilding the St. Louis Cathedral after the fire of 1788.
In 1790, a Scot, Alexander Milne, arrived in New Orleans and made a great deal of money, which enabled him to buy huge tracts of land along Bayou St. John and the lakefront. By the time he died, he owned most of the New Orleans lakeshore and what is now Lakeview -- 22 miles of property along the lake extending from the Jefferson Parish line to the Rigolets.
Milne founded the town of Milneberg, which later became a summer resort on the lakefront. Folks traveled some five miles down Elysian Fields Avenue on the Pontchartrain Railroad, also built by Milne in 1831.
An important feature of the Lakeview area was the New Basin Canal. Dug in the 1830s, largely by Irish immigrants, the canal connected the lake with Uptown, its turning basin being near the present Union Terminal. On the west side of the canal was the famous Shell Road, our Pontchartrain Boulevard, where the thoroughbred owners of antebellum days tested their horses.
Near the mouth of Bayou St. John, on the location of the old "Spanish Fort," a grand resort arose in the 1800s, complete with a casino, restaurants, amusements and a hotel that saw the likes of visitors such as William Makepeace Thackery, Gen. Ulysses S. Grant and Oscar Wilde.
People so enjoyed the pleasures to be found near the lake that another resort, West End, first known as New Lake End to distinguish it from Old Lake End as Milneberg was sometimes called, had its inception in 1871. The city took over an embankment some 800 feet from the shore and raised the 100-foot-wide bank to a height of 8 feet. Soon a large wooden platform was built over the water, and before we knew it there were a hotel, restaurant, garden and several amusement spots. It remained a popular resort for many years.
In 1921, the city constructed a seawall 500 feet further out in the lake and filled in the area in between this and the old embankment. Then they filled in the space, forming the present West End Park.
Early in the 1900s, drainage of the Lakeview area began, and the first house was built in 1905 on Julia Street, later called West End Boulevard. Within a few years, the swamps were drained and roads were built, and the New Orleans Land Company, begun by Charles Louque, started to advertise and sell property. Pretty soon there were houses, schools and churches. The first public school in the area, Lakeview School, was built in 1915, and St. Dominic's Church on Harrison Avenue was built in 1923.
Development of the area got off to a slow start but picked up in the late 1920s, only to be slowed down by the Depression in the 1930s. Things picked up again, but slowed with the onset of World War II. However, by the late 1940s, Lakeview was on the way to becoming a prestigious neighborhood. In 1949 West End Boulevard was repaved, and in 1950 the New Basin Canal was filled in.
Also, in the 1930s the Orleans Parish Levee Board filled in the lakeshore and began to develop the whole lakefront between West End and the Industrial Canal. In 1939, Milneberg eventually became the site of Pontchartrain Beach Amusement Park, and today the University of New Orleans Research and Technology Park