Tina Borns-Sayles, senior designer for Hartstrings (Riverwalk Outlet Collection, 500 Port of New Orleans Place, Suite 260, 504-581-4993; www.hartstrings.com) gives her fall trend forecast for children's wear.
1. Knit dressing, because knits are soft and easy for children to wear. The tunic and leggings look is popular for kids.
2. Lightweight sweater knits with breathable pointelle or open mesh sweaters, especially worn over maxi dresses.
3. Pattern mixing: chevron stripes, dresses spliced with different patterns or directions of stripes.
4. Collegiate athletic details mixed with traditional looks.
5. Big graphics and updated animal prints.