So, when trying to determine proper portion size, it is helpful to tap into visual comparisons. Here are some that are easy to remember:
• One small apple is about the size of a tennis ball and is considered one serving.
• Two cups of leafy vegetables like spinach or lettuce is about the size of two baseballs.
• Half a cup of pasta is about the size of a hockey puck.
• One ounce of cheese looks like two 9-volt batteries.
• Three ounces of meat or poultry is about the size of an iPhone.
• Three ounces of fish is about the size of a checkbook.
• One tablespoon of butter looks like two thumbs.
For more information portion control, contact sports and lifestyle nutritionist Julie Fortenberry, LDN, RD, at 504.457.3100 at The Fitness Principle with Mackie Shilstone at East Jefferson General Hospital, or go to www.ejgh.org/thefitnessprinciple.