Where was Turtle Back Road?
Turtle Back Road was in what is now City Park. It ran between present-day Marconi Drive and the Orleans Avenue Canal.
It first appears in city records in 1920, when it was the scene of a murder. It was described at the time as being "one of the most desolate spots in the city."
Turtle Back Road was accessible only from Robert E. Lee Boulevard. It ran alongside the canal and got its name from the high ground in the center, which sloped off to the sides (like a turtle's shell). Its real reputation, however, was as one of New Orleans' earliest lovers' lanes.