Pin It

Wine of the Week 

There really is a "Chablis" and it can't be found in a box or a jug, but in France's northernmost Burgundian subregion and in the beautiful wines whose grapes once graced its hillside vineyards. Made from 100 percent Chardonnay, 90 percent of the wine is matured in small stainless steel tanks for eight to 10 months to preserve its freshness. Then the wine is combined with the remaining 10 percent, which is aged in French oak to add complexity and roundness. In the glass, subtle aromas of citrus, apple and pear invite further exploration, rewarding the taster with layer after layer of fresh white-fleshed fruit flavors, as mineral and stone notes are unveiled and textures and flavors dance across the tongue. Wonderful for sipping or matched with grilled fish, saucy seafood dishes, cream soups or shellfish. Where to buy it: Hopper's Wines and Spirits and Rouses uptown. Where to drink it: Herbsaint, Restaurant August, Antoine's, NOLA, LÜke and Court of Two Sisters (Listings current at press time.)
click to enlarge wineofweek-17752.jpeg


Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Pin It

Latest in Wine of the Week

More by Brenda Maitland

Readers' Favorites

Spotlight Events

  • Crescent City Chamber Music Festival @ Citywide
    New Orleans

    • Aug. 24-30
  • Close Me Out @ Hi-Ho Lounge
    2239 St. Claude Ave.

    • First Saturday of every month

© 2017 Gambit
Powered by Foundation